Tuesday, June 16, 2009

New day, same great results and a bit about grains

I learned how to sprout grains a few weeks ago, thanks to a cookbook a friend gave me. It didn't work after a few tries, grains just didn't sprout. But yesterday, I had a small bowlful of sprouted quinoa and buckwheat, which did not sprout, possibly because it was roasted (only kind I could get at Whole Foods). So I tested my "sweet guinea" DS on sprouted quinoa for dinner, with cauliflower and carrots. Other than a few dark, mushy poops, which was probably more due to lunch than dinner, his face was fine.


I've been learning that certain grains are big no-nos and some grains are less desirable than others. The whole notion of sprouting grains used to give me a serious headache. Too much advanced planning, how am I ever going to get to the park, run errands or buy groceries?! So I'm only in experimental phase right now.


The Bodyecology.com diet only allows quinoa, millet, amaranth and buckwheat. Donia from eczema-natural-healing.com allows brown rice. Both authors have different theories. Donna from bodyecology.com treats mainly Candida sufferers, but I've found that my son's eczema improved tremendously when I limited his intake of brown rice. Brown rice was the substitute for wheat, a step that also made great strides. Traci from bestfoodist.com (cookbook from friend) has an interesting way of cooking rice, which did not appeal to my Chinese roots. It was rice I could never bring myself to eat, my kids will probably eat it as they love rice and all starchy foods, but I would never prepare rice that way and it would never work in sushi, which was/is a staple (weekly only now). This method of soaking, draining, re-soaking and heating until boiling point, then turning off heat may work fine for other grains, but with rice, it just looked bad, real bad. I am accustomed to fluffy rice with individual grains beautifully cascading off my fork. So that's when I decided to move away from rice for awhile, keep looking and try something new.


No/limited grains' diet is based on the theory that there's fungal overgrowth in the gut, which causes skin eruptions/eczema/psoriasis/acne. All skin issues are related and could even be the same cause. Dermatologists or allopathic medical doctors like to be "specific" and separate each/every slight distinction. Some of these distinctions are important, very important, but could all of it be due to similar causes? For example, I've found that giving my kids copious amounts of spinach or kale definitely help their skin. Meanwhile, if you do a search on acne, you'll find a lot of advice telling you to take vitamin A. Well, spinach and kale are amongst the highest in vitamin A in the plant kingdom. So what about the grains, how are they related. Grains turn into sugar in the body, some faster than others, from what I understand, and sugar feeds the fungus. So if you starve the fungus, it will lay dormant as it should in your body. One source say that all of us 'should' have only about 15% fungus in our gut, that it's normal. But 80% of Americans have more than 15%, a fungal overgrowth, which causes various problems. The way the body express its sickness vary from person to person. So you have a choice, to go with the specific-symptom treatments (allopathic medicine) or go holistically and improve overall health via digestion. I chose the latter. Already had first kid on steroids, have seen folks develop "thin skin" as a result of long-term steroidal use (oral and topical) and I just didn't have the heart to put my second kid through it. Plus I have two kids now with similar issues (eczema, asthma and allergies are all related - "old-man" friend didn't believe me, sent him a link from webmd.com and he shut up), so there is more incentive for me to embark on this journey towards health or anti-drugs.

More on grains later and will post specific links I've researched, advice I followed, etc.

No comments: