Saturday, October 25, 2008

History of Eczema Battle

Let me introduce my kids - Alexa is born 1/18/05, Travis is born 9/18/07.


Some history. Alexa had baby eczema (on face only) at around two months, but it went away after a couple of weeks. She was also allergic to dairy. I breastfed her for one year. She developed asthma at 16 months, was hospitalized, then got another attack two months later and was again hospitalized. Then she had facial eczema again shortly after she was hospitalized. It took over six months before the eczema went away and almost a year before the scars completely cleared. Now she has two eczema patches, one on her arm and another on her leg. She hasn't had an asthma attack in approximately two years however.


Travis developed cradle cap and eczema at three months. To this day, he still has eczema, also on his face only. He was breastfed until he was nine months and after two weeks of fighting with him, I put him on goat milk with an infant liquid multi following Dr. Sear's advice, which gave him severe constipation and anal bleeding. So I doctored up the goat milk according to Sally Fallon's homemade infant formula recipe, which gave me mixed results and I'll get into that later.


With Alexa, I used Aquaphor and breast milk for the eczema, not sure if any of these things helped. When she got older, I used Lanacane to fight the itch, then I tried some other anti-itch creams-chemicals so she wouldn't scratch and leave ugly scars. It only helped mildly, because you have to apply the cream every few hours in order for it to be effective. Also, these anti-itch creams offer no emollients, so I was always torn between treating the dry skin or the itchiness. Sometimes I went with the dry skin and used Eucerin, Cetaphil, Aquaphor, then later decided to try purer oils such as unrefined shea nut butter from Ghana, tamanu oil, Bio oil or virgin coconut oil.


With Travis, I used shea nut butter and virgin coconut oil only, but then started wondering if he was allergic to nuts. So I gave up nuts while I was breastfeeding just to see and his face seemed to have cleared. I stopped using shea nut butter, just the virgin coconut oil, sometimes olive oil and sometimes Aquaphor. Now I use Desithin on his face as a cover-up, to lighten up the redness of it. When he's at home, I apply Limu Plus juice on his face 3X a day, but more about Limu Plus later.


No comments: